Monday, September 22, 2008

Fall Equinox

Today is the first official day of fall.


It's always a bittersweet time of year for me. I'm sad to see the end of summer because it always goes by too fast, the birds are beginning to flock together in preparation for their flights to warmer climates, the leaves are just starting to get a tinge of colour, the days grow shorter...


At the same time, I love the sights and smells of autumn. The deep orange, yellow and red hues on the leaves, the sound they make as they crunch underfoot, the deep blue skies, the crisp evening temperatures that make you want to cozy up in front a warm fire.
But I'm getting ahead of myself, we're not quite there yet. There's sun and warmer temperatures in the forecast for the rest of the week, so we can pretend it's still summerish for just a little while longer.


Here's a pair of earrings I made a few weeks ago, when I first noticed the changes afoot in Mother Nature. It reminds me of the quiet way the season changes, the muted tones that somehow bloom into vibrancy and then fade again to soft browns after the annual display is over. I call them "Leaves of Autumn".


1 comment:

CMK said...

Buon Giorno dall'Italia: We stayed up late last night beading..Bev working on a new Topography, I have all my pearls wired for a new Shaggy. We're going to Rome end of week to find a bead store we've heard of so will share with you when we get back. Congrats on your new Blog..enjoyed reading it this am while you were still dreaming. Loved your new necklace..assume the focal is one of your's?? Looks like you had fun at the Oasis..sorry we missed it but Italy was calling!!
Ciao, will check back later, I had to register so hope this gets sent OK..first one they erased.
Colleen & Bev