Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Sweetheart Necklace


Here's a shot of the necklace we made in class last night. Or I should say, started to make, as it did not get finished. It's made up of a series of hearts and it was a very good exercise in "pattern vs. practice". The pattern is simple enough but as I worked the first four hearts, I decided that I didn't like the beads that were provided in the kit, as they are very random in size and quality - some had to be discarded because the colour was wearing off, some were larger than others, some didn't have a proper hole for the needle to go through, etc. I would prefer to use delicas as they are consistent in shape and colour and I think the pattern would benefit from that consistency. To me, it's worth it to spend a little bit more for a quality bead than to use a cheaper bead that isn't going to satisfy you or your design. But these ones will do to practice with.
I was also getting ideas about the colours as I worked up the pattern. The main colour is pink and the red, blue, purple and green colours are intended to be the accent colours. I can't decide if I like the accents to be added on purpose or randomly. I also think it would be nice to vary the colours, maybe have the hearts in alternating colours, sided by side. This pattern will definitely need to be revisited in the future, when I have more time to play with the possibilities and see what sort of creations can be concocted. It definitely is a sweetheart of a design.

No comments: