Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Imagine - Part 2


I woke up thinking about John Lennon today. I knew all day yesterday there was something significant about the date, Dec 8th, but it wasn't until I woke up today thinking about Lennon that I realized what it was - yesterday was the anniversary of the day Lennon was shot. I can remember exactly where I was when I heard the news. I was in second year university, studying for a Statistics exam that I did not want to write. At the time, I shared a house with 6 other women and one of my roommates came in to tell me that she'd heard Lennon had been shot. It was quite shocking and we were all rather upset. Some wondered if exams would be cancelled as a result because how could we write an exam when we were so upset but of course, they weren't. Still, it was one of those moments that stay with you. My mom says for her generation, they can still remember the same sort of details about when Kennedy was shot. It's the same for me when I remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard Princess Diana had died. People you'd never met who still had such an impact on your life when they were alive that the event of their death leaves a lasting impression on your psyche. It's hard to believe it's been 28 years since that day. It's hard to believe I'm 28 years older and he is frozen in time at 40 years old. I wonder what he might have done with the rest of his life if he had lived, if the Beatles would have ever had a reunion tour like so many older bands are doing now. Man, that would be a concert ticket I would pay a whole lot of money to get! It's a terrible tragedy that he was killed but the older I get, the more grateful I am that his music lives on for all of us to enjoy.

1 comment:

The Dixon Chick said...

I distinctly remember when Princess Diana died. I think that is what put into labour - Declan was ten days overdue and the shock of the news got the ball rolling. I like to think that as one angel left the world, another arrived.