Sunday, February 22, 2009

Some days are better than others

That goes for sessions on the lampwork torch as well. Some days, you just can't seem to get the rhythm and it's probably best to stop trying to force it and leave it for another day. Case in point:

Last week in lampwork class, we were making toggles. I thought I would try to make some toggle beads similar to those made by Sarah Moran (http://www.z-beads.com/Pics/2008/twilighttoggle.html) who does amazing things with colours and creates unusually shaped beads that are so fun and funky.
Sadly, I am not nearly as talented as Sarah. My first attempt to make a similar shaped bead was a colossal failure. When I realized it wasn't going to end up anywhere near toggle shaped, I started to add glass and make something that began to resemble a fish, but even that just ended up looking silly by the time I was done. Here's the photo, you'll see what I mean:

My only consolation is that it was only my first try so surely I can only get better from here. Although somehow I doubt mine will ever look as cool as Sarah's do. Worst case scenario, I'll just buy beads from her!!



So then I tried to make a different type of toggle. That also didn't work, so again, rather than throw it out, I thought I'd make a little animal thingy instead. I ended up with a bead that looks like a boggle-eyed something or other with wings:







It was at this point that I decided I was just wasting time and glass and the stars just weren't aligned in the proper position for me to be successful that night, so I stopped. Don't worry, I haven't given up, I went back a couple of days later and things had settled down in the torch universe and I was able to make some pretty nice looking, basic round beads. I'll just have to keep practising when it comes to toggles!

No comments: