Saturday, February 28, 2009

You've Got Mail


I watched this movie for the umpteenth time today. I've lost count how many times I've seen it, I even own the DVD. I especially like to listen to the director's commentary as they describe the various spots in New York City where they filmed, etc. The city is like another character in the movie and the Upper West Side is where I stayed when I went to NYC a few years ago, so it all seems rather familiar. It's a great movie, romantic without being too smaltzy and the dialogue is well written (thank you, Nora Ephron). IMDB even has a section of "memorable quotes" from the movie, in case you have a hankering to browse through some of your favourites: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0128853/quotes.
I was watching today because I wanted to have something on in the background while I worked on my Bag of Beads project for the Toronto Bead Society. (The night of the big reveal is fast approaching, so I've got to get busy and finish my creation.) Sometimes I listen to music, and sometimes, I find watching TV while I bead can be a good thing, as long as it's something familiar that you don't really have to "watch", i.e. a show that doesn't take too much focus away from the beads themselves, because that's when mistakes happen - you put your thread through the wrong bead or add the wrong colour and all of a sudden, there's a blip in your work.
That's why this movie was perfect for this afternoon's beading session. I've seen it so many times, I can just work away while still enjoying the movie and not losing track of the plot. I found I was much more aware of the soundtrack this time as well!

No comments: