Sunday, March 8, 2009

Creating with Buttons

The day we went to the junk shop in Puerto Vallarta and found the buttons, I was especially thrilled because all week, I had been wishing I had a different collection of beads with me, a more colourful selection with which to mimic the vast array of bold colours we had been exposed to in the furnishings and decorations and plants of the Hacienda Mosaico and the city of PV. Ever since we'd arrived in Mexico, I had been amazed at how colourful everything was, the stores, the food, even the people.
As Heather said, she hadn't realized how beige her surroundings were at home until she saw how Sam had decorated the Hacienda. I definitely had to agree with her, although I'm sure part of it was just the doldrums we were feeling by being only halfway through a grey and cold winter season up north.


So when I found myself this stash of buttons, I immediately got to work making a necklace and a pair of earrings that I could wear to feel more a part of the colourful energy all around us.



(The focal bead for the necklace was a gift from Colleen, who had picked it up for me on a trip to Turkey this past November and which went perfectly with the buttons. Thanks again, Colleen!)


No comments: