Sunday, April 5, 2009

A Birthday Party

I taught wire crochet at a 13 year old's birthday party yesterday. It was so much fun. The girls were happy and excited about the finished results and eager to learn during the teaching process. I was a bit nervous about teaching people that age, except that I had taught a 10 year old last summer and she mastered it no problem, so I was pretty sure these ladies would do okay and they certainly did. It's too bad that crochet seems to be a dying art, only one of them had ever tried it before, whereas all the parents remarked that their grandmothers had crocheted.

I don't exactly remember being thirteen (whereas I remember my 12th birthday in particular because I got to get my ears pierced for the occasion) but it was an enlightening experience to spend time with these girls yesterday. They are just on the edge of being grown up young ladies, still switching back and forth from being kids goofing around to being more serious and mature. Just listening to them talk and hearing about the things they are interested in (school, movies, music, boys a little bit but not really) and scared about (the movie "E.T.", if you can believe it).

One of the colour packages I had put together was red, black and silver and the girls said it reminded them of the movie "Twilight", which the girl that picked it seems to be quite obsessed about. She could even play one of the songs from the soundtrack on the piano. At that age, I seem to recall learning to play Partridge Family songs on the piano and I'm pretty sure there weren't any vampires or werewolves in any of the episodes of that particular show. I think the darkest storyline I can remember from that was a teenage runaway who got on the bus to go back home at the end of the show.

It was a fun afternoon and not only did I get paid to be there, they were kind enough to feed me chinese food and cake - just when you think spending the afternoon beading can't get any better, throw in a piece of cake and wow - suddenly, it's a perfect day!


No comments: