Saturday, June 13, 2009

Ride to Conquer Cancer


I just wanted to give a shout out to all those who are riding in Toronto's Ride to Conquer Cancer this weekend, especially my friend Ezio (pictured above). It's 200 km (approximately 124 miles, for my American readers) over 2 days - definitely not an easy feat, and my admiration and support goes out to all those taking part. The most I've ever done is about 30 miles/50 km in one day, so doing twice that and then getting up and doing it again tomorrow seems like a major accomplishment to me. Hopefully this cool, hazy sunny day will assist them in their quest to cross that finish line.

Last year's Ride was the first one for Toronto. 2,850 people did the trip and raised $14 million dollars for this worthy cause. The event has a bitter-sweet association for me, as my friend Tim took part in last year's ride but didn't complete the second day, as his father passed away suddenly on the first day. Ezio is riding this year in memory of his dad, who passed away from pancreatic cancer several years ago. My donation was made in memory of my dad, a victim of colon cancer 4 years ago. Most of us know someone who has been touched by this disease and the more we can do to find the cure, the better.

If you'd like to add your support or learn more about this event, here's the webpage:



No comments: