Tuesday, August 4, 2009

An Update

This photo is for Sharon, who was asking how big the little house that Wendy made actually is. Sharon, it's just a little bit smaller than a toadstool, does that help? :)


Today marks the last day of my 21 day commitment to work out for 5 days out of every 7. I am pleased to report that I did a total of 16 workouts in that time, which is one extra that I agreed to do, and I still haven't decided if I'll head down to the pool tonight. I'm thinking it would be cool to do 7 days in a row but at the same time, it's not a bad thing to give my body a wee rest. Especially after yesterday's Zumba session! Although I'm not really too sore today and I thought I would be.


Have you tried Zumba? It's pretty cool. It seems to be a combination of aerobics and dancing, done to Latin and "international" music. The Globe and Mail had an article about it a few weeks ago. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/shimmy-up-to-zumba/article1186095/

I laughed out loud at the part that says, "What are the classes like?" and the answer is "A party at an all-inclusive resort", because it was kind of like that.


I felt rather dorky at first, because I was having trouble following the moves (it's like the first time you did a step class and you were stepping up while everyone else was stepping down or going left when they went right, until you do it once or twice and get the hang of the routines) but after a while, you kind of forget that you're standing in the front row and everyone behind you is probably thinking you're a klutz and you just have fun with it.


The question is, what am I going to do next? A man named Jim Rohn said, "Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." Hopefully, the habit is now in place, although I can see how it might get out of whack. On weekdays, I've been doing my activities right after work, but if I have to run errands or go grocery shopping or be somewhere on a certain evening, I lose that time so I think you do need to accept that you can't commit to doing it every day. Plus it's easier in the summer to say you'll go for a half hour walk than it will be once the colder weather comes back. I'll just have to cross that bridge when I come to it. In the meantime, I might drop the commitment to 4 times a week but I definitely still want to keep active.

No comments: