Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Funky Ring

The subject of last week's Bead Crazy Advanced class was the making of this funky ring. It was a very simple design and very easy to size to fit on your finger. I am looking forward to making several more of this design in the days to come. The choices of beads are endless.




The first two photos show the ring made by our teacher, Katherine. The second photo is especially good for seeing the side detail of the pattern. The third photo shows how dynamic this design looks in a blue colourway. The fourth photo shows the ring I made in class - yes, I actually finished the project! I'm not overly keen on the colour combination or the beads themselves but my selection was limited at the time. As I say, the future possibilities are endless and will hopefully be much more striking.


This ring makes up very quickly, using both ends of the 28 gauge wire on which the beads are strung. However, I'd also like to try making it with thread and two needles, or possibly with that super fine beading wire called Soft Touch that is thin enough to be threaded onto a needle.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to track down the source of this pattern. The instructions we received don't show what magazine it came from, but I can tell you that the designer's name is Martine van den Bussche of France and that the article appeared with this very funky photo (which unfortunately is not very well reproduced in the photocopy we were given) of two Barbie dolls wearing several of these rings on their various limbs. Rather an unusual photo choice for a beading magazine, but also rather clever, if you ask me!

No comments: