Monday, November 30, 2009

C'est Tout (That's Enough)

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result. I had the feeling I was going to drive myself crazy if I kept going to my french class each week, expecting it to be different. I kept hoping that the next class would be interesting and/or fun and/or would actually involve something more than just conjugating verbs in the past tense and learning how to use pronouns. I missed two classes when I went to Tucson and still nothing changed; when I went back the following week, it was just more of the same. So I have decided not to attend the final couple of classes.

This is a difficult choice for me. It feels totally radical, like I am breaking rules, wasting money, giving up. Even though I come away from these classes each week angry, frustrated and disappointed, it somehow feels wrong to just...stop going to class. And yet, the sense of freedom is undeniable. Knowing that I don't have to go back and waste two hours of my life each week in that class comes with a huge sense of relief.

I don't know if I will try again next term. Perhaps another teacher would be better, one who doesn't mind telling you what the verb you are conjugating actually means so that you might actually be able to use it in a sentence at some point in the future. One who might actually promote the idea of making conversation in the language which you are using, rather than reading exercises off a photocopied page. I know, I am just full of radical thoughts tonight!

Or, I might just rely on this iPod program I recently picked up for a mere $4.99, whereby I can make my iPod a pocket translator. There are more than 1,500 essential words and phrases available on a variety of topics such as "at the restaurant" and "asking directions". Surely that will be all I will need next summer in France??

No comments: