Sunday, January 24, 2010

Clean Dishes, Running Water

Here's another photo that I took yesterday when I was emptying my dishwasher and the sun was shining so beautifully on the clean, shiny dishes. As I started the dishwasher again this evening, I was thinking about how I went online earlier today to check my credit card balance and realized that my donation to the Red Cross last week to help the people of Haiti has been posted three times, which means $150 has been charged to my card instead of the $50 I had originally intended. It's going to throw my budget off this month a little bit and I suppose I could call them up and ask them to correct it but I just don't have the heart. I have a roof over my head and heat and electricity and when I turn on the tap, I can have my choice of clean hot or clean cold running water. It's raining outside and if I didn't look out the window, I'd never know it. I have the security of knowing that my car is sitting safely downstairs in the underground parking with a high probability it will be there tomorrow morning when I need it to drive to work. I'm 99% sure it won't be buried under a pile of rubble in the morning, nor will I. How can I possibly begrudge those earthquake victims a measly $100? It's a no-brainer, I can't.

No comments: