Thursday, February 25, 2010

175 Days and Counting

I am thinking of France today. It's never far from my mind, as the days count down, but Kate mentioned in her blog today that the Paris and Durfort sections of the trip are fully booked, which means I've got to get busy cruising the Internet to find us a place to stay in Paris. (If anyone reading this has any suggestions for a charming place for 6 women to stay for a week in the City of Light, please do let me know).

It was snowing as I drove to the grocery store tonight and there is snow in the forecast for the next three days, perhaps as much as 15 cm in total by Sunday if they are right. I bought myself a bagette along with my other bits and pieces, came home and ate a bit of it with some cheese and a nice, warm bowl of chili and thought about summer.

Then I sat down to look at some of my photos from July of 2008, where I could have bought a fresh loaf of bread from this stall at the vide grenier (one of the weekend flea markets that are held in different villages each week).

I am also remembering this beautiful church that is just around the corner from La Cascade, where we will be staying in the village of Durfort. It has beautiful stained glass windows and a painted ceiling that is mesmerizing.

Two years ago, we were there for a week taking a precious metal clay class that Kate taught. It was a full week and while we did have time to do a bit of exploring both on foot and in the car, it just never seemed to be enough time to see and do everything. At the time, I was glad to have arrived a day ahead of everyone else so I could get my bearings and tour around a bit on my own because the rest of the week seemed to go by too quickly.

This summer, I am looking forward to spending two whole weeks in this small village without an agenda. We can do what we want, when we want. I expect that means there will be plenty of time to sit in this church and admire the surroundings, perhaps with a sketchbook in hand. And it will be warm, so very warm. I can't wait!

No comments: