Friday, March 5, 2010

Coca-Cola Art

I was excited to find this link to these Coca-Cola ads on someone's blog today (sadly, I can't remember exactly who pointed me here so this thank you is less specific than it should be).

http://http//www.beautifullife.info/advertisment/history-of-coca-cola-in-ads/

Oh sure, the polar bears are cute but I've always loved the vintage Coke artwork, there is just something about the it that appeals to me. My favourite of this grouping is the "Thirst knows no season" version - I love the way they have done the different pictures in the window to show the tree in different seasons.

I am amused by the text of some of the ones from the early 20th century. On this one from 1909, the heading is "From the Realm of Fancy to Reality" and the consumer is advised that Coke "relieves the fatigue that comes from over-play, over-work and over-thinking." Wow, sounds like they could use a few bottles on Survivor to help them outwit, outplay and outlast the competition!

Then there's this one from 1910 that states the drink will "relieve your fatigue, cool you off comfortably, calm your jangled nerves and quench the thirst." Believe it or not, this was their claim even after they stopped using cocaine in the formula, which happened in 1904, according to this article in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-cola.

The one that perplexes me the most is this one called, "The Housewife" from 1918. Somehow, I just can't imagine any normal housewife looking like that. Perhaps if she was starring in an MGM musical. And why does the dog want the drink? Since when do dogs drink Coke?? It's a mystery.

Speaking of vintage, here's the first Coke ad I remember:


Now if you'll excuse me, I'm feeling a bit thirsty all of a sudden...



No comments: