Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Chicks and Eagles

Last night, I went to the Dixie Chicks/Eagles concert with my good friends Barb and Wayne. Here's a picture of us having some fancy cocktails at dinner beforehand.


Wow, what a great show it was! The two bands are touring together for the summer, and apparently Keith Urban is joining them for most of the US dates but not for the 2 Canadian ones (they're playing in Winnipeg in two weeks) but I can't say I noticed his absence.

The Chicks played second (after an opening act I had never heard of and who had already left the stage by the time we arrived) and did 14 songs all together. "Not Ready to Make Nice", the song they wrote after the backlash and boycotting that when on following Natalie Maines' comment that she was ashamed then President George Bush was from Texas back in 2006 got the biggest reaction from the crowd, but they played a number of their most famous songs and did an excellent job of rocking the crowd.

As good as they were, you could tell everyone was there to see the Eagles, who came on just after 9 p.m. and played two solid hours of fabulous music. I saw them in 2006 and loved them just as much this time around. "Hotel California" was the 4th song their playlist and got a huge reaction from the crowd - here's how the stage looked while they played that one:


I tried to take photos during the concert but didn't have great luck, other than far away shots like the one above. I could see over the shoulder of a man two rows in front of me who was getting some great shots but he must have had a better camera or lens than mine, as I just couldn't get the same quality as he was getting. Nevertheless, the shots I got will be good for remembering, hey, I was there.

I did get some really cool altered photos though. I'm not sure what to call them, they're all magical-looking because of the way the light was captured. Here's an example of what I mean:


I love the way beams of light seem to be connected to each of the 4 Eagles band members and the different colours of those lines. And notice the sort of explosion of light to the left of them? Here's a similar result with the Dixie Chicks. I especially like the little burst of light that drops down under the image. Very cool and kind of spooky, don't you think?

I must admit, I'm a little tempted to go online to see if tickets are available and if I could get a cheap flight to Winnipeg, it was such a great show!!

No comments: