Sunday, June 13, 2010

Weary but Accomplished

I just got home from the cottage and I knew I was tired, but I didn't realize exactly how tired until it took me three tries to remember what my password was to sign into my Google Gmail account.

It was a long day, still spring cleaning which means more washing of all of the dishes in the cupboards. About half way through, I thought, why do we need so many serving bowls? Do we really need 2 dozen sets of plates? But of course, you do at a cottage for those occasions when you suddenly find you have 15 people for dinner and several courses to serve. And who knew that a couple of cans of frozen pop would spray so much sticky brown stuff onto so many different dishes?? Sadly, we still don't have running water so washing dishes involved heating up several kettles full of water brought in from elsewhere. Plus I washed out the beer fridge, which lives outdoors and had a rather interesting ice sculpture forming inside the freezer section where rain had leaked in over the winter.

On the nature watch, I saw a fawn in the woods between our place and our neighbour's yesterday, a sweet little thing who bounced far enough away to feel safe when I surprised him but then stopped to look at me for a while as I watched him, admiring his big ears and pretty spots. He looked very similar to the fawn in this photo by Fred LaBounty that I found on the Internet. He seemed awfully small to be out and about on his own, but I couldn't spot any other deer nearby.

And a ruby-throated hummingbird came by to check out the red bucket of water I had filled from the lake and left outside, but didn't drink any of it. My sister Janine spotted a Northern (Common) Flicker digging ants or some other sort of bug out of the grass on our overgrown lawn, which we hadn't ever seen before. Perhaps there are advantages to letting the grass grow! (photo by Bob Moul, also via the Internet)

All in all, a lovely day at the cottage but I'm ready for my bed!

1 comment:

J9F said...

Thank you for all your hard work sista!