Sunday, August 22, 2010

4 More Sleeps

I can hardly believe that the time has finally come that our trip to France is so close. I now need less than one hand to count the number of days, there are only a few workdays to get through and no weekends between now and when I climb on that plane to fly across the ocean.

It was bittersweet to have this past weekend at the cottage, knowing that when I return again in a month's time, summer will be over here in Ontario and we will be solidly into fall. Some of the signs of autumn's approach are already visible: hay stacked in the fields in round or rectangular bales, starlings beginning to flock together, lined up on the telephone wires as if they haven't a care in the world when really they are preparing to migrate a vast distance to wherever it is they go for the winter months, leaves on a very few trees starting to change colour and the squirrels scampering across the lawn with their cheeks bulging with acorns.

Given that I was feeling that way, it was totally appropriate then that I should follow this boat for a while on the drive up!


Luckily, I will have two hot and sunny weeks in French sunflower country to compensate me for missing the last few weeks of this glorious summer of 2010 we have had here in Ontario.

No comments: