Thursday, August 19, 2010

Aberfoyle Purchases

Another successful antique-hunting outing occurred two weekends ago at the outdoor antique market at Aberfoyle.

I picked up some beautiful old National Geographic maps for $5 each. One of "The World" (copyrighted 1932 but may not actually be that old, I can't tell); one for The Great Lakes Region (1953) with a fabulous border repeating the province and state names in an appealing font; and a third one which is entitled, "Historic and Scenic Reaches of the Nation's Capital" (1938) - the artwork was irrestible!


For $10, my friend and I split a huge bag of old stamps, most of which appear to be from the U.S. in the 60's and 70's but some of which have postmarks from the 30's and 40's. Many of them are still attached to the corner of an envelope and a few even have the return address. I'm tempted to write and see who lives there now!


For another $5, I got this collection of bits and pieces - 20 inches of vintage chain, a watch face, a little bottle with what appears to be lamp wicks inside and an old wooden ruler from a dressmaker's supply company in Toronto.


My best deal of the day was this jewellery box. The label said $12 but the vendor sold it to me for $9. Isn't it sweet?


My most expensive purchase was this old printer's tray, which I got for $15. It is seriously water damaged, discoloured and totally distressed, which made me love it all the more.


Man, I love antique markets. And in just about 10 days time, I'll be checking out the deals at the Sunday vide grenier somewhere in the south of France - can't wait!

No comments: