Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Remembering John

Image from the Internet, by someone named Eli
It was 30 years ago today that John Lennon was shot.  Hard to believe that much time has gone by, I can still recall so many details from that night.  I posted about what I was doing that day 2 years ago, I can still recall how shocked I was when I heard the news.

Just before I went to the Paul McCartney concert this past summer, a friend told me, "I was never really into the Beatles, don't really care for their music" and I thought, "that's it, we can't be friends any more, how could you even say that??"  The Beatles have been a part of my life as long as I can remember, my parents had several of their albums and I started buying my own in high school, even though they had broken up over 10 years before that.  I may not have agreed with John's politics, he ranks 3rd on my list of favourites as far as cuteness and my enjoyment of his musical work (I'd pick Paul and then George ahead of him, if asked) but you can't deny the man was talented. It's a shame we didn't get to see what else he might have done if he had lived longer but Lord knows, he made a heck of a contribution to music while he was here with us.

No comments: