Friday, March 11, 2011

About Stephanie Lee

I'm in Washington, D.C., taking 3 days of classes taught by Stephanie Lee.  I'm not entirely sure how I first found out about Stephanie Lee, probably via Kate McKinnon. I do know I have been reading her blog for a couple of years now and I have taken one of her online courses about journalling, called "Thought Threads".  I love the way she writes and she also takes beautiful photographs.

Here's how she describes herself on the instructors page of the ArtBLISS website:

"As a plaster-smith, paint-smith, and metal-smith, my mixed media work is most inspired by nature and its melodic effects on the human spirit with my intention being to conjure simple and organic offerings to viewers. I am committed to reinventing common, everyday materials into something artful, expressive, lighthearted and spiritually stimulating all at once. I have offered creative instruction both nationally and internationally and have had my work featured in numerous publications. I am also the author of Semi-Precious Salvage: Creating Found Art Jewelry (Northlight Publications, 2008) as well as the co-author (with Judy Wise) of a plaster focused book which will be released in May 2011 (Northlight Publications, 2011)."


Longtime readers of this blog will recall that when I couldn't go to Art & Soul - Hampton last spring, my friend Heather arranged to have this picture taken of herself and Stephanie to send to me:

I had the pleasure of meeting Stephanie and her family at Journalfest last fall.  I wasn't taking any of her classes but Heather and I went up to her on bonfire night with a copy of the above photo and said, "do you remember this picture?" and she said, "Are you Cynthia??!!" and we all laughed.  Then Heather took this photo of Stephanie and I together:
Now, at long last, Heather, Stephanie and I will be together in the same place at the same time for the purpose of making art together - I can't wait!! I expect there will be lots more photos to be taken and merriment to be enjoyed between us over the next few days.

No comments: