Sunday, March 20, 2011

Supermoon

Did you see the moon last night? I thought I should make an effort to go out and see it rise, since we may not even see the moon tonight, as it is supposed to be cloudy and/or rainy, so I went outdoors shortly after moonrise to check it out.  I can't say it looked any different than any other full moon. Certainly didn't look as large as some of the harvest moons I've seen coming up over the horizon in the fall.  If you hadn't told me it was looking 14% bigger, I don't think I would have noticed. 

Here's the view from ground level, as the moon rose over the apartment building across the street, looking just a little bit bigger than the streetlights.

This is the view from my balcony, as it rose a little higher over the same building.
Living in a large city is definitely not the best for capturing celestial events, too many other light sources competing for attention. No matter, I always enjoy looking at the moon at any time, don't usually need a reason!

No comments: