Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Chasing Flies

I picked Heather up at her mom's house just after 7 tonight and we headed to Swiss Chalet for dinner, because this is what all ex-pat Canadians want to do when they come home for a visit - go to Tim Horton's for coffee and eat Swiss Chalet chicken.  Then we came home to my apartment for a bit of show and tell and gift exchanges from our respective trips (she was in Italy while I was in Portugal) and now it's time for bed.

Except...there is a big black fly buzzing around my apartment, driving the cats crazy.  Such acrobatics as I have never seen as the fly travels from room to room, chased by 3 not fast enough cats who climb, leap and tumble across whatever is standing between them and that fly (Katrina is very wisely staying out of the fray).  Said fly doesn't land very often, so yours truly has no chance to slap him with the folded newspaper I am carrying around.  The cats swat him on their paws every now and again but it doesn't seem to slow him down.  I don't have an actual fly swatter or any fly paper, so not sure how this game is going to end.  Surely the fly must be caught before we try to sleep, as I don't want cats leaping over the furniture all night, although to be fair, they often do anyway. 

It's a little bit like this around here right now:


only so far, none of my little fur babies has actually caught the fly and I certainly hope I don't end up swallowing it! 

I suggested that Heather should take the fly into her bedroom and close the door but she didn't think that was the best solution.  Darn.  Time to get busy with that folded newspaper again...

1 comment:

Irene said...

Sounds like so much fun! I'm glad you and Heather got together and made the best of the heat wave.
Irene