Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Wednesday Night Auction

Mid-morning yesterday, I was taking a little break from work, signed in to Facebook and noticed my friend Karen had posted that she was about to drive 3 hours to an auction. Knowing she lives about 3 hours west of where I do and that if she were to drive 3 hours west of where she lives, she'd be in the U.S. of A., I asked where she was headed. Turned out she was going to Milton, only half an hour from Toronto. An auction, you say? In the middle of the week? How exciting. Of course, I simply had to invite myself along, especially after I read the description of the auction.
Me and Karen
The preview started at 3:30 p.m. and the auction was scheduled to start at 5 p.m., so I left work early and headed off.  Ran into Karen in the parking lot immediately upon my arrival. She had already had a first look around and saved herself a seat, so I marked my spot in the row behind her and went to check the merchandise after we both got our bidding numbers.
I bought the box of records labelled #69
My goodness, there was a lot of stuff and all of it very well organized, already divided into numbered lots and in most cases, with brief descriptions written on pieces of paper sitting on top of the items.  There were boxes and boxes and stacks of old records, magazines and books, some jewellery, and several knickknack type items (most of which were ugggly, at least in my humble opinion).

There were so many vintage magazines available, boxes and boxes of National Geographic, LIFE, Mad, Punch, New Yorker, Redbook, Good Housekeeping, National Lampoon, movie magazines and even Penthouse and Playboy, to name just a few.  All of these magazines dated anywhere from the 1920's to the 1990's, it was quite an astounding assortment.
Harry Potter guarding the Playboy magazines!
Karen bought some vintage jewellery and two boxes of tie clips and cuff links, as well as an entire tray full of old buttons, plus a bag of vintage buttons still on cards (which I secretly coveted as well, but didn't want to bid against her and wouldn't have bid as high as she did anyway) and some old magazines (which she very kindly shared with me).  Not to worry, I bought several very cool items myself, which I'll show you in more detail over the next day or two.  Some Elvis memorabilia, a box of old record albums, vintage charms, colouring books and paper doll books and a couple of very old University of Toronto yearbooks (1926 and 1934).  My most expensive item? Another vintage photo album, full of photos - whoo hoo!!


No comments: