Saturday, February 4, 2012

Fun With Jane

Today was day two of Jane Davenport's drawing class here in Seattle.  We are having an amazing time and everyone is drawing the most awesome pictures.  Jane is an awesome teacher and she makes it easy for us to be able draw beautiful faces.  Of course, she is so beautiful herself, inside and out, it should be no surprise that her own artwork is so amazing and lucky for us, she has a talent for sharing her techniques with the rest of us.

There are 13 students, several of whom are from the Seattle area.  Three of my classmates I already know from attending Journalfest and PLAY - Jenny, Heidi and Marty - I'm glad to have a chance to be able to spend more time with them. Here's Heidi with one of the gorgeous flower drawings she did in a recent class:

Here is Jane giving one of my fellow classmates some feedback on her drawing:

I have taken Jane's online class called "Supplies Me" (check out her workshops here) and as a result, I'm finding this class to be much more comfortable than I think I would have otherwise if I hadn't done any drawing like this before, simply because my inner critic would be quite busy telling me, "you can't draw so don't even try."   There's still some of that going on, of course, but Jane encourages us to just "trust the mess" and keep going.  Her best advice today? "Don't expect to be perfect doing something you are trying for the very first time".

Here's one of the faces I drew yesterday, when we drew with coloured pencils and learned how to blend the colours:

Here's one of the faces I drew today, using coloured pencils and acrylic paint.  Jane asked us not to blend the pencils but to leave the pencil lines to create a looser, more relaxed look:

I thought I was done until Jane came by to check out what I had drawn and she reminded me that I had forgotten to add eyelids and I needed to add some shape to her chin, under the mouth:

This was another of the drawings I did today:

We worked with acrylic paint and coloured pencils today, tomorrow we'll be working with markers too - can't wait!

1 comment:

Irene said...

Cynthia, I love your faces!