Sunday, April 22, 2012

Memories of Rome

I've been to Italy before, back in 2004 when I did a trip that included 5 countries in 14 days - England, France, Switzerland, Monaco and Rome.  Oops, make that six countries. I think we had a day in Florence, a day or two in Venice and maybe a day and a half in Rome, which was our last stop.  By that time, even though it had been an amazingly wonderful trip, I was so tired and we had seen and done so much, I was completely exhausted and totally over-stimulated.  I know we visited the Sistine Chapel but I barely remember it.  I thought Rome was okay but I didn't care if I ever went back - even though I had thrown my coin into the Trevi Fountain, which meant I would be coming back, if the legend was to be believed.
Sandi, Nikki, myself and Debbie,
about to toss our coins into Trevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain at night

Then I missed my flight home after misreading my plane ticket (d'oh!) and had to stay an extra day, which gave me a much better appreciation for the city than I would have had otherwise.  As a result, I am definitely looking forward to having two and half more days there to wander about and see things at a slightly slower pace. Not sure if I'll see the Sistine Chapel again this time around but that's okay, there are so many other things see and do in Rome.
The Coliseum
In the meantime, I've been looking over photos from that trip back in 2004, remembering the friends I made (several of whom I am still in touch with, all these years later) and all the fabulous places we went and the things we saw.
 
And of course, I've been looking up locations of flea markets in Rome.  Apparently, they're not as good as the ones in Paris but I might be inclined to check them out anyway. :)

No comments: