Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Meeting Dominik

When the weather gets cold like this and the gray, dreary days of January seem to be dragggggging on like they will never end, we Canadians have to make an extra effort to keep ourselves entertained.

This morning as I was perusing Facebook while eating my breakfast, I happened to notice that Dominik Diamond (a.k.a. as "the Scot that rocks"), the evening disc jockey for Toronto's classic rock radio station Q107, was going to bee making an appearance from 7 to 11 a.m. at the Home Depot store very near to where I live and work.  As I often listen to Dominik's show as I'm driving home from work or anywhere else at night, I thought it would be fun to stop by the store on my way to the office and say hello.

When I arrived at the store, the Q107 van was parked outside:

I was worried the place was going to be busy with people lined up to speak to Dominic, so I was surprised to find that while some people were stopping to help themselves to the free coffee:

and some people looked like they were checking things out and might have wanted to approach their table:

most of the people (men) were just walking by, no one was actually speaking to Dominik or the other guy there with him, they were being totally ignored!  Who knew Home Depot shoppers would be so shy in the presence of a local celebrity??

When I arrived, the guys from Q had their heads down, each focused on the laptop in front of them

and at first I wondered if I should interrupt, as they looked rather busy and focused.  But as soon as I approached and tentatively said, "Dominik?", he jumped to his feet with a smile on his face and stuck out his hand to say hello.

We had a bit of a chat and the other guy (the one wearing the cool leather Harley jacket, whose name I didn't get) very kindly offered to take our picture for me.

They offered me free stuff - a toque, a t-shirt, a pen, a decal.  I took the Derringer in the Morning mug, since I love listening to John, Mo and the gang in the morning, and promptly put it to good use when I finally arrived at work (my boss is a Q107 fan as well, so she didn't mind me being late when she heard why!)

 

It was great to meet Dominik, he's just as engaging in person as he is on the air (although much taller than he sounds!?) and I was glad I made the trip.  Definitely a good way to brighten up a very cold winter's morning!

No comments: