Wednesday, January 16, 2013

My Sketchbook Project 2013

I had been wondering whether to go ahead and post the contents of my Sketchbook Project when I saw that my fellow artist Fran Meneley (whom I met at Journalfest 2011 and then got to know a little bit better at Teesha and Tracy Moore's art retreat PLAY a year ago) blogged about her book today (can you stand how awesome her pages are?!?!?) and thought I would go ahead.

There were several possible themes to choose from. Fran chose "Almanac" but ended up with more of an "Atlas" flair.  The other choices were:  travelogue, memoir, narrative, chronicle, sketchbook, chapbook, documentation or photo log.  Or you could also go with:  dwellings, strangers, participate, diagrams, warnings, lists, creatures, dinosaurs, upstairs or mystery. 

I knew I wanted to use some of the vintage black and white photos in my collection so I chose "mystery" (click on any of the photos to enlarge and/or for a slide show format) as my theme, based on the fact that photos of strangers that I find at flea markets, auction sales and antique shops are full of mystery.  Who are they (or who were they) and why are their photos available for me to take home, instead of with their families or descendants?

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I picked up a box of vintage papers
at a yard sale that turned out to be
a bunch of paperwork from a local funeral home
- how cool is that?!
 
 

Stay tuned, tomorrow I'll show you the rest of the pages!

No comments: