Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day!

I remember when I was a kid in public school, we would decorate paper grocery bags and hang them on our desks.  On Valentine's Day, we all went around and put cards in each other's bags.  The cards contained similar messages to these vintage ones, circa 1934 to 1937, all on the theme of "be my Valentine".

I'm not sure what city this is (New York? Chicago?) but it's a pretty card.

I find some of these vintage cards to be somewhat scary in nature, like this one with the wolf:


Here's what the inside looks like:

Here's another one with a wolf, which is just a little bit pervy, don't you think?

This one with the kitten is quite cute.

The little dot in the centre of the cat's face is actually a brad, holding the head on the card. You can tilt it back and forth to change the expression on its face:

Some of the messages are more simple:
The inside of this one says: "So please
come clean and say yes!"
I think this heart is my favourite, it's just so unusual - who talks about spinach greens in a love note?!
There is actually a little metal spade attached to this one!

Whether or not you received any Valentine's cards today, I hope your day is an extra special one!

No comments: