Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Moon Tonight

Did you see the full moon rise tonight? It looked extra large as it was looming on the horizon.  My sister and I were driving back to the city from Aurora, where we'd been to a charity dinner to raise funds for friends who are participating in the Ride to Conquer Cancer in 2 weeks time (still lots of time to donate, if you are so inclined).  She took these photos for me, since I was driving.

This first one is the only one that turned out the way I expected.

But she got some really cool results on these ones!




This one is my favourite!
There's going to be a lunar eclipse later tonight, just after midnight, but it sounds like it won't be worth staying up for.  Space.com describes it as follows:  "the passage of the moon’s disk into the Earth’s shadow will result in one of the slightest eclipses of all, administering a mere touch of penumbral shadow at the southernmost part of the lunar limb at 12:11 a.m. EDT on Friday (0411 May 25 GMT)...It will thus be impossible to notice anything out of the ordinary concerning the moon's overall appearance". 

No comments: