Friday, August 2, 2013

August 2nd

We have a long weekend coming up here in Ontario. Someone on the radio called it the "last long weekend of the summer".  It confused me but I guess they meant that Labour Day weekend will signal the end of summer, whereas this one is smack dab in the middle.

Still, you can feel things changing. Maybe it's just because it has been an unusually cool week for this time of year, making us think more about the approach of fall.  I also heard on the radio today that we've had 50% less warm days this summer than we did last year, that I can believe.  Enough already, bring back those warm days, I say!!  It's bad enough the days are getting noticeably shorter already and it is becoming dark earlier each evening, I want to squeeze every warm moment I can out of summer before the dreaded winter months return.

I haven't had any time off since February and I'm feeling the urge to have a break.  Work has been quite busy lately and the weekends in between have been full and active. Somehow, a long weekend doesn't seem long enough when you feel like that, at least not to me. Maybe because I usually spend them at the cottage and it's a 2 hour drive to get there and a 2 hour drive to get back, which means there's really only one day in the middle where you're actually staying put and not thinking about going somewhere.  I'm in the mood for a staycation.  Plunking myself down with a good book, some art supplies and the TV remote and not doing much of anything.

Can't decide if that will happen this weekend or not.  Hopefully I'll figure it out by the morning.

No comments: