Sunday, February 9, 2014

50 Years Ago Tonight

Hard to believe it has been fifty years since the Beatles first appeared on the Ed Sullivan show on February 9, 1964.
Photo from www.ottawacitizen.com
I didn't see it, as I was a mere two years old at the time.  I'm not even sure my parents had a TV back then. I do remember them speaking of their earliest memories of the Beatles. Apparently the lads from Liverpool with their "long" hair was quite the topic of conversation back then.  I find that hard to believe as well, especially knowing what was to come in the late 60's and early 70's for men's hairstyles!

I may have missed those first early performances but certainly their music played an important part in my upbringing.  My parents came to own several of their albums.  Abbey Road was a special favourite of mine, I can remember listening to it over and over again.  Of course, back then, you could set your record player repeat and the arm would swing from the middle of the record back to the outside rim as often as you wanted!

I don't expect I'll ever get tired of listening to their music.  Yeah, yeah, yeah!

No comments: