Sunday, April 20, 2014

Easter 2014

Happy Easter and/or Passover to those who are celebrating.  Happy Spring to all! (thank goodness it finally feels like it again here in Ontario - let's hope this warm weather stays!)  For many of us, this is a time to spend with family but for mine, April has become a bittersweet month, as my dad passed away on April 19th nine years ago.  I have learned that the grief fades over time but the sadness remains, you never quite stop wishing your loved one was still here, especially when holiday celebrations are taking place.

This weekend, while visiting my mother, my sister and I were delighted to have the opportunity to help her go through some family treasures, including a collection of old photos from when my father was a young child.  I don't remember seeing many of those pictures before, so it was a real treat to look through them.

Much to my delight, Mom let me bring home some of Dad's artwork he had painted as a young teenager, including this Easter-themed painting:
It has always been a bit of a joke in our family, the fact that the bunny is coming out of the egg and not the duck.  Even when he was alive, Dad never really had an explanation for why he painted it this way. We'll just call it "artistic licence"!  Nevertheless, it has always been a favourite of mine.

No comments: