Tuesday, June 3, 2014

First Grader Art

I had another letter from my first grader penpal today.  What a treat.  School recently ended for our American friends to the south (as compared to classes here in Canada, which continue for another few weeks) so this will probably be the last letter from my letter writing friend Britton. I did write him and say I'd be glad to hear from him over the summer but (a) I'm not sure my letter arrived before class ended (since I didn't realize class was ending for the year so soon until about a week beforehand, not sure that was enough time for my last letter to get there); and (b) he may not feel like writing letters while on summer holidays, so we'll see what happens.

However, the envelope I received today had a letter from Britton as well as a note from his teacher, thanking those of us in the National Letter Writing Group who had volunteered to correspond with Britton and his classmates.  Her letter says she believes letter writing is a lost art, so she teaches her students to write letters and they go to the post office (which is only a block away), buy stamps and send off the letters.  She said they usually write to a family member but she thinks the kids enjoyed doing this more.  Of course I was thrilled to be part of any project that encourages kids to write letters!
Best of all was this drawing Britton sent me of his classroom.  Is this not the cutest thing you have ever seen? I love it!
Thanks Britton, for being such a great penpal! And congratulations on learning how to spell "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" in grade one - I'm totally impressed!!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish I had one of the kids. That would be fun.