Monday, August 25, 2014

Alone with the Sky

I was driving to the cottage on Friday night. The sun was setting, it was about 7:30 p.m. and the sky was getting quite dark in front of me.  I realized I was about to drive into some rain.  Sure enough, drops quickly started to cover my windshield and just as I switched on my wipers, I noticed the biggest, most beautiful rainbow I had ever seen just up ahead of me  The setting sun behind me was showing up each of the colours of the spectrum in the most perfect way.
I tried taking a few photos with my iPhone while I was driving but soon pulled off onto the first sideroad I came to and jumped out of the car in a light rain to grab my camera out of my trunk.  That's when the panic set in, when I realized that my SD card was back home in my computer, not in the camera where it belonged.  Nooooo!
The start of the rainbox

The end of the rainbow (or is it the other way around?)
So I grabbed my iPhone again and starting snapping pictures.  As you can see from the photos in this post (which have not been retouched in any way), they turned out okay but they really don't do justice to the beauty of the moment.  It turned out, there were 2 rainbows but the 2nd one was very faint.

The light rain, the setting sun behind me (here's what that looked like)
the quiet of the fields around me, the colours of the vegetation lit up by the sun.
It was quite an amazing few moments and although one or two cars passed by, they didn't seem to be even noticing the rainbow. I felt quite alone with nature and it was glorious.

I got back in the car and started driving to the nearest town to buy an SD card, as I didn't want to go an entire weekend without using my camera, and within moments, the sky behind me looked like this:
The colours were truly astounding, practically shimmering as a result of the moisture in the air.

As soon as I got to the cottage, I unpacked my watercolours and painted myself a little drawing to remind me of those special moments when it was just me alone with the sky and all the colours of the rainbow.



No comments: