Monday, November 3, 2014

Focused on Yellow

I drove up to the cottage just for the day yesterday.  All along the route, nature was proudly showing me her yellow palette.
The only trees left to shed their leaves this late in the season are the yellow ones, the vibrant reds and oranges from a few weeks ago are no more.
They lined the sides of the road like a golden carpet.
This time of year, the tamaracks stand out clearly against the increasingly drab background, putting their green cousins to shame.
My mother has been telling us about tamaracks for many years, pointing them out to us in the fall as their needles turn yellow.  What I just learned today on the Internet is that "the word tamarack is the Algonquian name for the species and means "wood used for snowshoes"." (Wikipedia)
I distracted myself by looking for these various yellow items along my route, choosing to ignore the all too frequent peeks of white.
Although in one particular case, it was much too obvious to ignore.

1 comment:

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely foliage photos and informative post!

artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)