Friday, July 10, 2015

Stanley Cup 2.0

I had a great time this past Wednesday afternoon helping my friend Mike Kitchen, assistant coach of the Chicago Blackhawks, celebrate his day with the Stanley Cup.
You may recall my post from 2013, the first time I attended a Stanley Cup celebration.  That was certainly a magical night!
This time around, Mike and the Cup were set up in the hall of the local Legion and the invitation was open to anyone who wanted to attend to have their picture taken and/or meet Mike.  There was a lineup but it moved quickly and most of us were chitchatting with friends while standing in line, so it was quite the party atmosphere and before you knew it, it was time to pose!
I was able to get a picture of the names of the Blackhawks team members from 2013. What a thrill to see Mike's name carved into the silver and know that it will be there for the next several generations of hockey fans to see.
What an accomplishment for him and all of the players that make up each winning team. It takes a lot of sweat, hard work and sacrifice to play or coach a hockey team, it's not all glamourous and exciting, although there's plenty of that too at the NHL level.

It was an exciting couple of months of playoff hockey. Lots of late nights for us the viewers but it is certainly all worth every minute when your favourite team takes home the Cup.  It's even more special when you know someone on that team and can be there to help them celebrate such a monumental accomplishment. I consider myself to be very fortunate to call Mike and his family my friends and I am thrilled on their behalf that they were able to bring Lord Stanley's Cup back for a second time!


No comments: